Frequently Asked Questions
How many adults in the United States cannot read, write, or do basic math above a 3rd grade level?
- More than 30 million
How many adults in the United States dropped out of high school before 8th grade?
- 8.1 million adults, that’s more than twice the number of births every year in the United States
What is the single most significant factor influencing a child’s educational success?
How many adults in Jasper County are low-literate?
- Over 7000 adults in Jasper County lack the skills necessary to identify a location on a map, compare prices, or fill out a job applications.
How many adult learners do you serve?
- In the 2014/2015 program year NALA provided one-on-one tutoring and small group instruction to 154 adult learners who logged over 4600 hours of learning.
Who are your adult learners?
- 32% are literacy students – American students who want to improve their basic literacy skills
- 68% are English as a Second Language students – Adult learners from other countries who want to improve their English Language skills
How much do adult learners pay to access services at Joplin NALA Read?
- NALA provides tuition-free services to adult learners, but there is a cost.
How much does it cost?
- The cost of student and tutor resources, supplies, facility costs, and program management is approximately $15 per hour of student instruction.
Where do you get your funding?
- NALA is a United Way partner agency and we receive 40% of the funding needed to meet our program budget from the United Way. The remaining funds come from grants, community organizations and foundations, individual contributions, and our annual Spell Ball fundraiser and literacy awareness event.
Do you have volunteers?
- Yes! Our volunteer tutors give students another chance. The tutors develop respectful and encouraging relationships with the learners and create a safe environment for learning. In the 2014/2015 program year our pool of 50 volunteer tutors logged 2000 hours of instruction.