Give a hand up -- help someone learn to read.
Share the rewards of reading! If you need a rewarding place to volunteer, you have found it here. Volunteer to tutor English-speaking adults who would like or improve their basic reading and writing skills or volunteer as an English language tutor. No teaching experience is necessary, just a love of reading and a willingness to make a difference in the life of another adult. Find more about the responsibilities of a volunteer tutor by reading the Job Description for Volunteer Tutors. As a tutor you will give support to build a solid, successful learning environment. You will establish a base for improved self-confidence by helping an adult learner define and reach literacy goals. Your time and talents are an invaluable gift to our learners. We hope you will become a volunteer tutor - changing lives one word at a time. If you are interested in becoming a tutor or would like more information, take these three easy steps:
Step 1: Contact Us
Call us at 417-782-2646
Visit us at 123 South Main Street, Joplin, Missouri 64801
Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Click here to view our contact information or to leave us a message and we will contact you! We will ask you to fill out a Volunteer Data Sheet and complete either the Background Check or References form.
Step 2: Sit Down with Us
Once you connect with Joplin NALA Read, you will be invited to a free tutor training. At the training you will gain new skills but will also learn to capitalize on the skills you already possess. You will get an overview of the programs we offer and will find out what you can expect and what’s expected of you. If for any reason the program does not suit you, you are under no obligation to become a tutor after taking the training.
Step 3: Let the tutoring begin!
Following the training you will be matched with an adult who wishes to improve his/her basic reading and writing skills. Together you and your learner can schedule a time and a day that is convenient for both of you. Typically tutors and learners meet once or twice a week for about an hour in one of the classrooms at Joplin NALA Read.
- The training you receive will acquaint you with the methods, materials and strategies you need to work successfully with an adult learner.
- Joplin NALA Read staff are there to support you with any of your tutoring needs: books, materials, support, and guidance.
- You and the adult learner are a team. You can expect mutual respect and a positive experience.
- Because the tutoring is so individualized, you can work at your own pace and on the materials that most interest your learner.
- If for any reason you do not feel comfortable with your adult learner, just let us know and we will work with you to re-match you with someone else.